Sitali Hissing Breath
Shitali is unique among breathing exercises, as the inhalation is through the mouth rather than the nose. In this Pranayam you curl the tongue between the lips making a straw or pipe and inhale with the hissing sounds, close mouth while you hold the breath and exhale slowly through the nose, relaxing the throat.
- It is called the “Thirst Quenching” Pranayam - as it satisfies the thirst.
- Brings cooling effect in the body and mind and is helpful especially in summers.
- Very good for people who are aggressive, hot tempered and agitated.
- Helps in curing skin disease, tumor, and enlargement of spleen, liver, indigestion and constipation.
- Lowers down the body temperature in high fever.
- It is said that a practitioner of this pranayam is not affected with the snake or scorpion bite.
- Prevents flatulence, excess of bile and cures leprosy.
- Very good for people who are on diet or on fasting to bring the hunger under control.
- Excellent for preventing high blood pressure.
- Clears the eyes and ears.
- Brings a cooling effect to mind by calming & soothing mental nerves.
- Helps in relieving tensions & distressing incase of hectic routine or day schedule.
- Also helps in making a person have sound sleep.
- Brings clarity of thoughts by calming & easing the irregular sleep pattern.
Ensures a good flow of prana to the digestive organs.
To read more about the Procedure, Duration, Contradictions read the book " Yoga Ancient Heritage Tomorrow's Vision by Dr. Indu Arora