Matseyendra Asana / Spinal Twist
|Duration||30 seconds on each side|
- Sit in Danda Asana.
- Fold the right leg outside the left knee pointing straight up and foot sole on floor.
- Fold the right leg under the right hip.
- Now, keep the right hand at the back on the floor in the centre of the body on fingertips or palms flat on floor.
- Stretch the left hand up over head close to ear and Breathe in.
- As you Breathe out twist to the right side and bring the hand down outside the knee.
- With the elbow or shoulder push the knee inside.
- Try to catch hold of the same or opposite foot and look back from the same side to give a good twist to the spine originating from lower back and finally the neck vertebra.
- Stay here and breathe in.
- To release the pose relax your hands and turn your head straight and then release the folded legs straight on the floor.
- Repeat on the other side also.
- Make sure you don’t put the body weight on the hands, sit on both legs, keep spine straight, shoulders relaxed & head straight with chin parallel to floor.
- The twist of the spine releases the muscular spasm, nervous tension from the lumbar, sacral and thoracic region of the spine.
- Massages the kidney, pancreas, liver and gallbladder.
- Releases the tension and blockage in the intestine and releases the age old constipation.
- Corrects the bad effect of the poor posture.
- Gives the most important movement to most neglected muscle group (i.e. Lateral side of the body) and minor organs in the body.
- Harmonizes the functioning of the digestive system, blood circulatory system, respiratory system and excretory system.
- Strengthens the joints of vertebrae, shoulder and hips.
- Brings the flexibility of spine naturally making it possible to perform and enjoy the benefits of various complicated Asanas.
- Activates the endocrine and exocrine glands.
- Distresses the mind by releasing the mental tension.
- Increases the blood supply to cervical region & brain.
- Decreases the mental sluggishness by bringing the hormonal balance.
- Massages the entire psychosomatic centre - the Chakras by channelizing the energy from the Mooladhara to the Ajna.
- Activates and regulates the Panch Vaayu - Samaan, Udaan, Vyayan, Apana, prana.
ContraindicationPregnancy, spinal injury, stiffness of neck and lower back.
- Half spinal twist (Ardha Matseyendra Asana).
- By sitting on chair and holding the right arm of chair with left hand by twisting backward and left arm with right hand and repeat on the other side.
Helps InDiabetes, high blood pressure, increasing lung capacity, stiffness and rigidity of spine, kidney malfunctioning, hormonal imbalance, digestive abnormalities.
- Make sure the weight of the body is equally distributed on both the limbs.
- There is no weight on the hand kept at the back of the body.
- Start the twist from lower back to the neck.
- Do not tense the shoulder, neck and jaws as you twist.
- Do not lift the hips off the floor as you twist.
- Repeat on the other side also to seek balance.
- Surya Namaskar
- Danda Asana
- Vibrations Single Leg
- Samyukta Pada Asana
- Vistrita Pada Asana
- Kurma Asana
- Gomukh Asana
- Mandook Asana
- Akarn Dhanurtaan Asana
- Matseyendra Asana
- Pawan Mukta Asana
- Matsya Asana
- Viparita Karni Asana
- Bhujang Asana
- Dhanur Asana
- Ushtar Asana
- Kaag Asana
- Natraj Asana
- Shav Asan
- Double Leg Vibrations
- Saalambit Naukasanaa
- Paschimottan Asana
- Ardha Paschimottan Asana
- BhooNaman Asana
- Poorvattan Asana
- Ardha Upavista Konasana
- Parvat Asana
- Bhadra Asana