Shavasana is a period of thoughtful voluntary relaxation with autosuggestion or following the instructions.
* Duration Minimum 5 & maximum 10 minutes.
- Gently lie down on your back in final relaxation.
- Let the legs fall comfortably apart - toes falling out.
- Hands comfortable away from the body with palms facing up.
- Keep the chin down, shoulders relaxed.
- Focus on how the breath is moving in the body.
- Only having the intention to relax yourself as you BI, feel the abdomen rising and as you BO feel it caving in.
- Feel the gentle messaging movement in your abdomen with the breath.
- Now take your attention to the part of the body as I call upon the name and relax them consciously without moving them.
- Be aware of the points of contact between the body and the floor.
- Relax your heels - calf muscles, back of the knee, thighs, hips, lower back, and upper back, shoulders, back of the arms, back of palms, the neck and the back of the head.
- Gently sweep down the ………. From the forehead to toes relaxing all the parts of the body.
- Relax your forehead, eyes, noses, jaws, ears, throat, chest cavity, both the arms, the abdomen, both the excretory organ, the thigh, knee, ankle and toes.
- Be aware what has happened to your breathing pattern.
- What has happened to your heart beat with the intention to relax your body completely. Relax all the internal organs, joints and ………… system of the body.
- Be aware what has happened to your thought process.
- Are there any thoughts ……… you.
- Slow relaxed to your mind as if everything has come to a standstill, as if thoughts have gone into hibernation.
- As I chant the prayer, allow the vibrations to enter from forehead sweep the entire body and leave from toes - taking away all the pain and aches, negative emotions and thoughts, blockage and fears, leave you absolutely free, relaxed, rejuvenated and pure.
- Wards off fatigue and gives complete relaxation to all parts of the body and removes physical tension.
- Purifies the body by discharging muscular, nervous & emotional tensions almost immediately.
- Will help gain stability and balance in case of persons with hot temperament and restless attitude.
- The mal effects of anxiety, frustration, fear, phobias, and insecurity both physical and mental are minimized.
- It brings vigor & vitality to the body imparting freshness & youth.
- It is the repair time for the over worked parts of the body and recharges them with energy. It increases efficiency of work to be done.
- It prepares one to strike balance between works, rest, social, personal, professional life.
- Helps people with restless sleep, also help in bringing quality sleep hours required for healthy body & life.
- The need of sedative is minimized, as it is a natural tranquilizer.
- It has a regenerative effect on old age people or sports persons/ athletes.
- It slows down the aging process & develops strong will power.
- It relieves various pains & aches of the body.
- The chances of recovery improve drastically incase of dreadful disease.
- It restores the natural curve of spine & helps metabolic activity slow down.
- It reduces the pressure on heart and also helps in various heart diseases.
- If pacifies mental tension & emotional blockages.
* It relaxes the mind & slows down the thought process.
- It nullifies the harmful effects of stressful & hectic day schedule or odd working hours.
- It imparts freshness to mind, makes thinking positive, increase mental capacity.
- Incase of mental fatigue it improves concentration.
- It give psychosomatic relaxation.
- Heightens the awareness and help gain control over emotion & reactions.
- Makes meditation easy.
- Develops introspection.
- Helps in case of anemia & disturbed sleep pattern.
- Maintains the natural body clock.
- Relaxes & soothes the mental nerves.
- Fills each cell of the body with prana.
- Regulates the ratio of the Panch vaayu.
- Makes the absorption of prana in the blood easier & qualitative.
- Free the body of negative pressure i.e. Apaan vaayu.
- Lying on abdomen with legs apart as in makar Asana.
- Lie down on sides incase of pregnant women
- Tension headache, Depression, High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Angina pectoris, arteriosclerosis, colitis, dyspepsia, nervous tension, giddiness, ill temperament, phobia & manias, Insomnia, muscular fatigue, Asthma, Bronchitis, Palpitations, menstrual cramps, labor in delivery, hyper anxiety, Lack of concentration & poor memory.
- It is always best to choose a scheduled, silent & solitary place where distraction of noise is within tolerance level.
- Always better to practice in dim light.
- Always relax on a firm & flat surface to maintain right posture & alignment of spine.
- Do not use a pillow as it raise the head higher than natural curve of the neck instead this cushion can be used if necessary.
- Wear light, loose, comfortable clothing as possible, preferably cottons.
- You may cover up the body with a light & warm blanket or sheet if the weather is cold.
- Remove all the extra jewellery or gadgets from the body like - watch, belt, bracelets, neck chains etc.
- Do not touch any part of the body to any object or another performer close to you.
- Do not make any movement during the resting period.
- Do not yawn/ scratch at any stage but at the same time do not stop or resist any natural response of the body like coughing, sneezing, yawning as they are natural ways to relax and detoxify the body.
- Keep your mobile/ landline off (Silent Mode) during the resting period.
- Do not give a jerk to the body as you release from the pose.
- Go as per the instructions; do not jump to the next as per previous mental conditioning.
- Important Links & Resources
- Mudra ~ Hand Gestures
- Acupressure / Reflexology
- Kitchen Remedies
- Holistic Diet
- Marma & Chinese Massage
- Bach Flower Remedies